Rooto - Faulty Packaging Causes Severe Burns
Product: 64oz bottle of Rooto professional drain cleaner, sulfuric acid-based
Location: Shop-n-Save in Benzonia Michigan, parking lot
Date: June 30th, roughly 2:30pm
Narrative of Events:
A bottle of drain cleaner was placed on the bottom shelf of a shopping cart, roughly 6 inches above the ground. After leaving the store, directly outside the door leading to the parking lot, the bottle of drain cleaner fell roughly 6 inches off the bottom shelf of the shopping cart. This minor fall compromised the integrity of the seal, the cap, and the plastic bag in which the bottle was contained, causing the acid to pour out of the bottle and all over the right foot of 5 year old Katherine. I raced her back into the store to use the sink found at the bottle return and rinsed her foot immediately, and then with the help of store management I packed her foot in baking soda.
While carrying her, the liquid dripped over my right leg. Both Katherine and I suffered chemical burns, both of Katherine’s shoes had melted, and a pair of my pants had melted.
The events of this narrative can be confirmed by store management, store security cameras, witnesses to the events, as well as the included pictures of the injuries.
Please let me first say that I am fully aware this product is hazardous and that special precautions must be taken in order to properly handle or use it. I’ve been using drain cleaners for years, and am entirely aware of the caustic nature of concentrated acids. It is not the product, itself, with which I am concerned, but rather than packaging in which it is sold.
Despite the perception of secure packaging, it only took a small bump to open not just the seal, but also the cap and even the bag in which the bottle was secured. That a 6 inch fall should result in total failure in the packaging of such a hazardous product is completely unacceptable.
That there has been an apparent lack of quality testing in this packaging is not only dangerous to consumers, but also to employees of retail outlets and manufacturing facilities, making this an entirely reckless failure in consumer and workplace safety.
More Review Details
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
You May Also Like
- "I called your corporate office and that was a joke. You can reach no one . I called for your legal department and no one knew of one. Your..."
- "Purchased a durablend leather couch and loveseat from Ashley 2 years ago it started cracking and peeling everywhere. Called the MFS protection plan said not covered normal wear and tear...."
- "I purchased a couple v2 Pro Series 3, wax cart, loose leaf cart and several e liquid carts. Not one of these items works properly or as advertised. Customer service..."
- "There is so many things wrong with this fifth wheel bought New 2013, Heartland Silverado 37QB. just to name a few window's leak framework is terrible screws were not..."
- "BEWARE!! DO NOT BUY THEIR GARBAGE!! This is is horrible fake, lying, sham of a company!! They steal copyrighted photos of other designer's clothing that is not theirs..."
- "TRUE FACTS: Since the beginning Origami Owl Fraudulently has sued and harassed companies/people in the USA and outside of the USA. These poor people could have had a fight if they..."
- "I actually had an ok experience. You HAVE to read the fine.print. You HAVE to read the ordering instructions... ALL of them. You HAVE to order WAY ahead of time..atleast a month before..."
- "Airbnb is in the middle of a security crisis they have been "hacked" from. Airbnb's "Trust and Safety Team", is swamped with listings that have been high-jacked. I am host..."
- "All seams on the chair the dye is all coming off to an ugly white colored leather underneath. Barely any use to the chair. I contacted Slumberland and they said..."